Start anytime, anywhere,
at your convenience.
Pluralistic Rabbinical Seminary has three components:
- Cohort Learning (sixteen live and interactive courses with other students)
- Innovation Program (three masterclasses plus mentorship)
- Electives (twenty-one courses of your choice at your pace)
Students begin by enrolling at any time. Students can take any number of electives and innovation program courses at their discretion between their enrollment date and the beginning of the academic calendar in January. Enrollment is only $500 and students do not have to commit to joining a January cohort until they are ready.
This cohort is group of students learns together live, in addition to their asynchronous innovation and electives courses they may have previously started. All students in a cohort graduate at the same time and receive smicha at the multi-day smicha retreat together (held in New York).
- Classical and Modern Hebrew
- Rabbinic Literature I and II
- Tanakh I and II
- Talmud and Practical Halachah
- Theology and Jewish Thought
- Jewish History I and II
- Liturgy: Weekday, Shabbat and Holidays
- Practical Rabbinics, Pastoral Care and Homiletics
These courses are delivered through live streaming (similar to Zoom) and through our online bulletin board and chat system, Slack.
Students choose from what interests them, including:
- Advanced courses on Hebrew, text, history, thought and practice to expand on Cohort Learning
- Contemporary Jewish issues (race, LGBTQ, ethics, etc.)
- Certifications in areas such as trauma-informed care, mandated reporter training and Prepare-Enrich
- Education theory, curriculum design and education administration
- Independent study courses designed by students based on their own interests and experiences
- Courses provided by educational organizations beyond PRS, such as YIVO, Tel Aviv University, Yad Vashem, and many more.
These courses include management, technology, marketing, strategy, and more. They are designed to help students create their own Jewish projects which act as their capstone for rabbinical smicha and what they will begin their rabbinate with. Students are building projects as diverse as Jewish non-profits, consulting firms, corporate chaplaincy, Jewish social media companies, and more.
All courses at PRS are pass/fail. Educators do not assign letter grades or points. Instead, students are given feedback on their work and encouraged not to compete against their fellow students, but to compete against themselves and show improvement over time in our program.
PRS provides independent study elective credits from a variety of educational outlets including
UnYeshiva Pluralistic Rabbinical Seminary partners with like-minded organizations such as UnYeshiva to break down the walls of traditional Jewish and rabbinical learning. Students in our program receive course credit for taking classes at UnYeshiva.
Additionally, we are proud to offer the exclusive course Jewish Innovation Unbound, created by Lex Rofeberg and Dan Libenson, as part of our Innovation Program (available to rabbinical students only) and our publicly available Community Bet Midrash.
One On One Mentorship is your guide through the learning process. Your mentor will help you, by listening to your needs, and by coaching you through your time at Pluralistic Rabbinical Seminary. This relationship will explore everything from academic to spiritual advancement, personal growth and development, and your plans for the future. Each student receives two mentors: one for their academic learning, and the other with the innovation program.