Our Financial Commitment To PRS Students
We are against the accumulation of debt that puts many students at a disadvantage once they finish their semicha program, regardless of its affiliation.
PRS has worked tirelessly to build a program that is as inexpensive as possible while not sacrificing the quality of education.
How PRS Makes Seminary Affordable
There are a few things one notices when they learn about Pluralistic Rabbinical Seminary, and these traits say a lot about who we are and what matters to us.
- We have a very defined educational program. We only work with students who already have a high degree of Jewish educational experience and work history, thereby limiting the number of courses we have to teach, the number of years a student has to be in the program, and thus lowering the overall expense of the program
- We have no buildings or offices of any kind. The cost of purchasing and operating real estate is a financial burden that is placed on students or must be offset by donor development, which means more staff overhead. We decided not to build a building, but to build a community. Our staff and educators are worldwide, giving more availability to our students as well
- We have minimal administrative staff. By embracing a “flat organization” model, we have dramatically lowered the number of administrative staff we need. Additionally, by limiting the number of students we take at a time, we are able to focus more on student needs than business operational needs.
- We fully invest in our educators. We provide higher compensation than any published per hour adjunct pay rate. Our rabbis, cantors and other educators focus on teaching the things they are most personally passionate about, which means a higher quality education for our students, a higher workplace satisfaction for our educators, lower turnover, and therefore lower expense to students.
- We leverage technology. By using the latest technology and online pedagogies, we are able to provide high quality, interactive, personal learning that is surprisingly low cost. We create almost all our own educational materials which are entirely digital and source e-textbooks that are only $15.00 or less.
- We do not charge additional fees for participation. Beginning in 2023, we have eliminated all student fees. Unlike other programs, we do not charge our students any of the following:
- Admissions, ordination or graduation fees
- Coaching fees
- Va’ad or rabbinical union dues
- Retreat fees
- Proficiency exam fees
- Loan origination fees or payment plan fees
- Dissertation fees
- Seminar fees
Tuition & Fees
Tuition for the 2023-2025 cohort is only $850 per month for twenty four (24) months through our interest-free monthly payment plan. We anticipate students will pay $100/month in other learning opportunities as part of seminary, though this is not required.
Students pay no more than $600.00 per year in digital textbooks, but are welcome to pay more for paper copies. Most materials are provided by PRS for free.
There is a $500 deposit for students who wish to begin learning early through our Rolling Admissions program. It is refunded when a student begins their rabbinical cohort.
Payment can be made via debit card, credit card or Paypal. We do not accept checks, cash or other forms of payment.